ANTIQUE EPHEMERA - ANTIQUE LETTER - World War I Letter - Evan Thomas to Effie Thomas, 27 June 1919

9/08/2022 06:00:00 AM

 This letter was picked up at an antique store in Idaho Falls, Idaho. It was written by Evan THOMAS to his sister Effie THOMAS THOMSON during World War I. Dated June 29, 1919 - Mayen Germany. See a transcription exactly as written below the scans of the letter.





Mayen Germany
 June 27, 1919 

Dear sister I will ans your kind and welcome letter that I received today and sure was glad to hear that you and your boy was so well which found me all ok and am glad to hear that peace is signed at last. we sure did some shooting here in this town last night but don't know just when we will start for a sea Port. The Fifth Division is moving out now they started to move yesterday. from what I know Either the 3rd or Fourth will Follow shortly after them. and if the Fourth goes it will only be a short time until we will start. sometime next month. one of the Sargents told us at Dinner that we are to leave here on July the 20th. So if that's the case we will be in the states but I sure will let you know when we leave. and tell mother not to worry about me just to take care of her self and that I will do the same. So Alvie Thomson's Frow Flew the coop how. well thats to bad Poor Dub. Oh I got that affidavit that mother sent to me and give it to the captian but I think the Dev will be going home before they get it fixed out. we are having some awful cold weather here the last two weeks. So we are milking cows in scratch gravel are we. I guess that beats the Farm don't Lorin ha ha. well I only hope they make good at that but you know how they are when they get five cents. And I also think that Dad had a little to do when he sold old mat and that Brown mare. especialy Poor old mat after the good she has Done for him. I guess he let Cal have them on his own time too. So Henry is been skating as usual has he. well he ought to be over here if he likes skating we have Plenty to Drink. we are going to have Beer for supper so I will Dink some for you and your boy. and tell Rob that I will drink some snoofs For him that is the same as whiskey in English Fer stay. Well I should worry about the Receptions they are giving some of the guys that get home I don't care if they don't look the way I am I am not going to stay there very long anyway. Oh I will be glad all right to get out of the Army you said some thing when you mentioned About being my own boss. Effie I haven't heard from Lorin for a long while. (over) I wrote him a letter last week and told them that I was going to reenlist. but you know that's the first thing I would do. but Don't tell them any different. And you said when I got back over there to my Training Camp and needed any money to let you know. well that Part is all right but you know I wrote for some money some time ago and got Ten Dollars I would not of wrote for that but I wanted to by some souvenirs I never will ask for any more. I don't know which camp I will go to over there it will be one of the three camp Kearny Lewis are Fort Douglas Utah. they say we will be sent to the camp nearest to our home so if that is the case I will be sent to Fort Douglas. well I have told you all the news will ring off. will write again soon. From Evan coL. 30th U.S. Inf. A.E.F. Mayen Germany.

0 comments