ANTIQUE EPHEMERA - Correspondence Letter from Husband to wife. Written Wednesday April 8.

4/22/2021 06:00:00 AM

 After reading this sweet letter in an antique store I knew I wanted to try and find out who wrote it. I haven't made any headway there yet but it's a lovely letter. His last paragraph in particular melts my heart. It was written from some air force academy. I'm hoping there are enough clues to figure out the writer someday. Transcription at the bottom of the post.






Wednesday April 8
   
My Darling,

I've gotten so much mail from you in the last few days that I really feel guilty. Monday the hotplate and lighter avec brownies arrived along with a couple of letters. Yesterday the magazines, for which I thank you very much, arrived with another letter. Today I got the goodie box with the cinamon cookies came with a letter. Boy, do I feel flush. I don't know how you expect me to keep my weight down with all these goodies. I've been making an honest effort to take some off. I don't know how I'm doing, tho - there are no scales anywhere for me to check with. But you sure are putting temptation in my way.
        Tonight we played bridge in my room and the goodies came in handy for snacks. Everyone liked them, including the Chinese and Korean officers who were playing with us, and the Tyland officers who were watching. Bridge and television have become our major pastimes now. The studying, what there is of it, consists of reading Air Force Regs for the most part since there is very little in the way of textbooks. The regs always have to be explained in class anyway, since they are so ambiguous and confusing, so we usually don't bother. That leaves us with a lot of free time, and without wheels, we have to stay home, so there you are - bridge and T.V.
        In your last couple of letters you had some questions, so I'll try to answer them - Tal and I are in the same building, and our rooms are right next to each other on the second floor. We have a washing machine in the latrine which does a load for 25¢. No dryer, but there is a clothes line outside, and things get dry very well even if you hang them in your room. There is a service that will pick up laundry and dry cleaning in your room and put it on your B.O.Q. bill, but it is more expensive than the base laundry just a few blocks down the street near the B.X. where you can get one day service. So there is no problem on laundry. There is a maid that makes up the bed and cleans the room everyday during the week but not on weekends. I don't know yet when I come home. They're trying to move our graduation date from the 22nd to the 27th of May to coincide with the graduation of the advanced class. If they do, my orders will have to be amended since they say that I graduate on the 22nd. Right now it's still fluid, so when I find out for sure I'll let you know.
        Just think, tomorrow the little girl will be a whole year old. I can hardly believe it. Sure doesn't seem like that long. She's going to be grown before we know it. Give her a great big kiss for me and tell her that Daddy said happy birthday.
        Darling, I have to close and get to bed. I love you so much and miss you more than words can say. I would give anything to be home right now. Just to hold you in my arms for a little while would be worth all the money in the world to me. I think about you constantly, and the only things I look forward to is the day I come back to you.

        All my love, your Tex







0 comments