A peek into the past - A letter written in 1842 from one sister to another. Gloucester Furnace New Jersey to Philadelphia Pennsylvania

6/29/2018 01:54:00 PM




It was on the 65th anniversary of our nations birth that John RICHARDS took Louisa SILVERS to wife. Louisa, never before married and at the age of 40 suddenly found herself a step mother to 5 grown children, the eldest of whom was but 12 years her junior. I've seen situations like these many times in my genealogical research and when I do I can't help but wonder what the feelings are of everyone involved. In the case of Louisa though, personal insight into her situation is provided through a letter written by herself in 1842! 

Louisa SILVERS was born 4 March 1801 in Allentown New Jersey, the second of 12 children born to Ephraim Terrill SILVERS and Elizabeth ROGERS. It was Louisa's sister, Anna Mary SILVERS WARD to whom she wrote her letter in 1842. Though she and Mary (as her sister was called) were 18 years apart they evidently had a close relationship.

I've transcribed the letter and added scans of it as well. I've identified most of the individuals Louisa references therein: The Anna first referred to to is step daughter Anna Maria RICHARDS (1823-1895). Mr. R refers to husband John RICHARDS (1784-1871). Both mentions of Sarah refer to step daughter Sarah R. RICHARDS BOYLE (1816-1894). Nancy WARD refers to Anna Mary SILVERS WARD'S sister-in-law through marriage to her husband Asahel Fleetwood WARD. All mentions of Fleetwood refer to Asahel Fleetwood WARD (1816-1895), Anna Mary's husband. The first George refers to brother George Horatio SILVERS (1816-1908). Wm RUNYON and Harriet refer to sister Harriet Luttrell SILVERS (1805-1888) and her husband William RUNYON (1804-1892). Allen and George at the end of the letter refer to Allen Haughton WARD (1839-1896) and George Silvers Luttrell WARD (1841-1901), sons of Asahel Fleetwood and Anna Mary SILVERS WARD.

Gloucester Furnace March 14th, 1842 
My dear Mary
Fleetwoods letter of the 12th ins., came safe to hands, I therefore hasten to send you by Mr. Lapp, the little articles enquired for - I thought to have sent them two weeks ago, but neglected it, thinking it would be time enough toward the last of the month. Through Anna's kind assistance, I have got of my little articles nearly all made I think, I shall want them by the last of April or 1st of May. My health is still good; and as you no doubt suppose, I begin to look pretty large - but my Mr. R seems to gaze at me, with evident satisfaction, while he tries to quiet all my apprehensions of danger or difficulty. I still consider myself highly favored to be united to so amiable a man. Sarah has made us a visit of two weeks and recently left from the City on her way to her home with her brothers in Pennsylvania. She treated me with the utmost kindness and attention, calling me her Ma. She offers to come home and stay with me, during my Confinement, if I wished it, but this favor I declined, knowing it would put her to trouble and inconvenience, to come such a distance - a more estimable family than this I never saw! Indeed I congratulate myself that I have become an inmate, and one, of such a family Circle. Sarah speaks very highly of Nancy Ward and thinks her superior to Ann Hussel, for both personal, and material endowments - although she admired Ann also. I am pleased you expect to be confined so soon - as it will give you ample time to recover by the middle of next summer when I shall expect a visit from you, Fleetwood and Mother - but I will make the proviso - if our lives are spared - well knowing the uncertainty of this I am trying daily to be just used for such an event as death. But I must confess my attachment to the world is perhaps stronger and greater than at any former period of my life - and I cannot help feeling a peculiar reluctance at this time to leave so many newly acquired earthly and domestic blessings and lie down in the cold grave - yet I know in case of such an event the grace of God, which has hitherto supported me in times of difficulty can sustain, and prepare me for the hour of death; and to one compassionate Savior I look, and in him trust for the pardon of Sin in this life and happiness in that which is to come. Give my love to Mother, hope she is well - I am sorry to here George has, or is, about engaging in the distilling business as I think he will now become a drunkard and it is not now a reputable business - as public opinion is against it, in consequence of the miseries it has inflicted on the Community and world and the rapid progress of the temperance reform throughout the United States. I am pleased to hear Wm. Runyon has experienced religion and joined the Church, as I trust he will hereby become more amiable - in his character and therefore render Harriet none less joy. Cousin I. Rogers has made a venture and sold all their furniture and has taken a family into his house - with whom he, Anna and his mother board. This arrangement is in consequence of Anna, and his Mothers ill health. Susan has gone to live with her cousin Mrs. Lucy - They will too, no doubt, by this arrangement save expenses, as their house has been all winter, thronged with Company
The blue drilling I send you, is to make you a petticoat. I would have sent some other things but concluded to wait until you come to visit me. The black braid is the piece I borrowed of Mother last fall - I do not wear anything but dark, loose drapes - am getting a white one made. Did you ever see such a Winter so mild! The sun is now beaming upon us with an April or May luster and warmth; and Patrick our gardener is busy sowing his garden seeds and asparagus beds, but the probability is this premature spring will secure to us a cool summer. When Fleetwood directs his letters to Ms. Richards I trust that you will be careful, that they contain nothing that will reflect the least disgrace upon our family. Give my love to Fleetwood, he must write to me after you are confined and tell me all the particulars. Mr. R. and Anna, thank you and F. for your kind remembrance to them and request to have them returned returned. When Mr. Richards received Fleetwoodsletter last Saturday he came in with it in his hand open and and asked me if my name was John Richards. I laughed and said it was Louisa John Richards - and then he handed me the letter, which I was pleased to see, I wish you could scratch off a letter as easily as I can, I should then perhaps get particulars respecting yourself and family, as I give them to you respecting myself and family. But I begin to find that affections and interest of a domestic nature are beginning to render me a less punctual correspondent than formerly. I received an epistle the other day from Mary James reproaching me for neglect in this respect. Does Allen begin to talk yet? I hope he, and little George, are now well.

I remain your affectionate Sister, Louisa Richards







0 comments